During my first semester in the PDP program, we were invited to create an inquiry project around teaching. I chose to focus my research around the question: How can I make my French Immersion classroom more inclusive? While talking to other teachers, students, specialists of inclusive classroom and reading numerous scientific articles on the subject, I realized that all the tools I needed were scattered across the Internet.

So, I chose to create a toolbox for myself with everything I needed in just a few documents. I believe that to make my classroom more inclusive, I need a list of actionable ideas to guide me through my lesson and unit planning. This is why I have created a chart of inclusive instructional methods in actions. You will also find that I have included Universal Design for Learning charts (both in French and in English) and one very useful tool from the York Region School District which explains learning difficulties and provides clear instructional strategies. It literally changed my life!

Finally, I have to say that I believe that an inclusive classroom starts with the students knowing themselves and advocating for themselves. This is why I have included a worksheet that could be the starter of their own toolbox. It gives them the opportunity to reflect on their strengths, needs, and best ways of learning. I found from the research that the students need to have a desire to learn French for them to be able to overcome the many challenges of French Immersion.

If you would like to learn more about my project, you can find my inquiry process here and  my references here.

*A special thank you to Samantha Garstang and Jen Martin.

For the teachers

French version:

Inclusion en actions FR

UDL en Français

English version:

Inclusivity in Actions EN

UDL Organizer

Understanding Learning Disabilities by York Region School District

For the students

French version Boîte à outils immersion – Qui es-tu?

English version Immersion Toolbox- Who are you sheet